Tuesday 2 September 2008

Signs of life !

Like most people I've been away, so apologies for going off the air. Unforgiveable in the blogosphere, I am told. There are stirrings at the Cathedral - nothing more, you understand - to suggest that life is returning to the complex. People are trickling back from all directions. There is a new Organ Scholar called David who has taken up residence. I will introduce him shortly but let me first say a word about Oliver Brett, his predecessor, who left this summer. In August he was in Kansas City to give a recital at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. Now, he is about to start a teaching post in England. Back in June, Oliver gave a superb recital for the Friends in the Cathedral Hall. It was a memorable evening, Schubert's last three piano sonatas which we enjoyed enormously. Here he is - unruffled - at the end of that very demanding performance. A remarkable musician, it seemed to me. We wish Oliver well.

No comments: